|Photo courtesy of Fuj.|
My name is Derek. You may remember me as the guy who used to blog here on bear-flavored.com about farmhouse ales and Brettanomyces and juicy IPAs, sharing my experiences via long, rambling posts jam packed full of questionable information, dumb jokes, and unprovoked existentialism.
I have not posted all that terribly much this year, which I feel very bad about. Sorry about that! At this point, I still don't want to make any promises about hitting a certain time frame during which I'll be able to blog again regularly. As it turns out, after spending the vast majority of my time making beer, it's very hard to muster the energy to then spend my few remaining free minutes further thinking and writing about beer! As anyone could guess, at that point, all my brain really encourages me to do is pour myself a nice tall glass of bourbon, throw on a movie, and question every decision I've ever made in my life. So who knows if I'll ever be able to post again as often as during those blissful days past as a care-free homebrewer with all the time and energy in the world, but I do not plan to ever give up on the blog, and am always pondering and considering and brainstorming what I can write about next.
On the plus side, I am now done with all significant writing work on The Fermented Man, which should still be on track for release next spring / summer. Get excited! It's going to be real great! In fact, I can all but promise that The Fermented Man will be your new favorite book about a person living entirely off of fermented food for a year. But seriously, I'm really happy (and immensely relieved) by how well it came out, and I will hopefully be sharing more specific details very soon.
In preparation for hopefully being able to write a few more blog posts on a semi-regular-ish basis, maybe, eventually, at some point, I would like to first humbly ask what you all might be curious to read about?
I can of course continue to think of the usual dumb ideas that I tend to think of, and will even go so far as to share some of the possible future dumb ideas I have thought of for future blog posts, so you can tell me if you would particularly like to read about any of them. But if there is something that you are curious about — related to homebrewing, commercial brewing, running a brewery, starting a brewery, farmhouse brewery peculiarities, hiking up mountains, the inexorable nature of life, etc. — I am more than happy to address them.
First, though, here are some things I've been wanting to write about, but have not posted about yet. Some of these I may post about very soon; others will be discarded as pretty stupid ideas. Some of these are half-written posts in my draft folder; others I have not yet attempted to write at all. Just to give you an idea of some of the things that may be coming along soon, if I can muster the energy:
- Imperial Maple Stout - Tasting Notes
- Sour Black Ales - Tasting Notes
- 5 Methods for Spontaneously Fermenting Beer with Wild Microbes
- Where Am I? What Is This Place? What Year Is It?
- Kettle Souring vs. Mixed Culture Fermentation - My Thoughts On the Greatest Controversy of the Modern Age
- Do We Overestimate the Time Brettanomyces Needs to Complete Fermentation?
- A Day in the Life of a Modern Farmhouse Brewery
- Hazy IPAs and the New Wave of Extra Pulp Hop Juice - Addressing the Greatest Controversy of the Modern Age
- How Can You Objectively Know If Your Beer is Any Good?
- Something Else About Yeast Cultures, Or Possibly Barrel Aging, I Guess?
- What Is It Like to Transition From Homebrewing (5 Gallon Batches) into Large-Scale Commercial Brewing (1000 Gallons at a Time)?
- How Does One Maintain a Healthy Dating and Social Life When Trapped On a Remote Farm Working Absurd Hours? (Please, I'm Begging You, Someone Tell Me)
- 5 Pros and Cons of Commercial Brewing vs. Homebrewing
- The IBU Arms Race is Over, and That Pleases and Sparkles with Me
- Beer Hype - Some Reflections on the Greatest Controversy of the Modern Age
- My Experiences Developing the Beer Lineup for a New Brewery
- Is the Era of Flagship Beers and Core Lineups Over?
- Thinking About Opening Your Own Brewery? Just Pause For a Second - Have You Considered the Bottled Water Business, Instead? Or Perhaps Becoming a Hedge Fund Manager? I Have Friends Who Do Graphic Design, and That Seems Like A Really Nice Thing To Do For a Living
Please leave your suggestions and desires now so that I may continue to stall for another week or two before having to do any real work. Hit me!